Sunday 14 August 2011

lately.........

I haven’t written in a while and the reason for that is that I have continued doing the same thing. I am still dissecting ovaries of drosophila flies that have in them altered genes either kinases or phosphatases in the hope of finding a mutated gene that will have an effect on border cell migration that we can investigate further and relate to metastatic ovarian cancer.
I suppose that working so intensively in only one project has made me realize the reality of the amount of time that research entails. It is not easy and it takes a long time to get results!!!! We still have a lot of flies to screen before we finish and I hope we get some results especially because the people in my lab work really hard and I hope it pays off!!!!
In the following weeks I will try to perform an in situ hybridisation and also shadow a phd student that is working on live imaging hoping that I can grasp the procedure and have a go at it by myself. Unfortunately it has taken her a long time to master the way of doing it so it does not sound easy at all!!!!!! As soon as I embark in a new activity or get some interesting results I’ll post something up!!!! I have also enjoyed thoroughly being part of the Friday meeting where one person in the research group talks about their resent work I think I have learnt a lot and I sort of thought that they were all working on exactly the same thing. Now I have realized that they all approach the topic in quite different ways and there is so much to learn out of each person involved. So far I feel really happy and I am over the moon of having the opportunity to see how real research takes place
Xxxx
Adriana

No comments:

Post a Comment